I love warm salads – healthy yet they feel substantial and filling. This is a delicious sweet salad – roasting the butternut squash gives it a creamy caramel flavour. The salad is drizzled with a refreshing tangy dressing that is wonderful over steamed veggies too. This is excellent warm or cold. Why not make up a double batch and have some cold as a packed lunch. Instead of feta you could use tofu for a vegan option or poached chicken breast for a paleo option
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 30-40 minutes cooking time
Serves – 4
What’s good about it?
Butternut squash is packed with vitamins including vitamin A (beta carotene), vitamin C and B vitamins. It is also an excellent source of potassium which helps maintain healthy blood pressure. A wonderful skin and hair food – beta carotene and vitamin C help maintain healthy collagen.
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Place the butternut squash in a large baking dish. Toss with 2tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and soft
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Pour in the vinegar, cherry concentrate, chilli flakes and berries and simmer for 2 minutes until syrupy.
- Place the salad leaves on a large platter or bowl. Spoon the butternut squash on top and drizzle over the berry dressing, feta, chopped mint and toasted nuts to serve.
Calories per serving 407kcal, Protein 13g, Carbohydrates 32.9g, sugars 21.6g, Total fat 24.6g, saturates 8g, Fibre 6.3g, salt 1.5g
800g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (2cm)
4tbsp olive oil
1tsp sea salt
2 garlic cloves crushed
3tbsp raspberry vinegar
1 red onion diced
pinch of chilli flakes
50g dried cherries
2tbsp chopped fresh mint
200g mixed salad leaves
150g feta cheese, crumbled, shredded cooked chicken or tofu cubes pan fried
60g toasted cashew nuts