I love warm salads – healthy yet they feel substantial and filling. This is a delicious tangy salad – roasting the butternut squash creates a wonderful sweet caramelised flavour. The salad is drizzled with a refreshing tangy dressing that is equally delicious poured over steamed veggies too. Topped with protein this is a fabulous simple meal.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 30-40 minutes cooking time
Serves – 4
What’s good about it?
Butternut squash is packed with vitamins including vitamin A (beta carotene), vitamin C and B vitamins. It is also an excellent source of potassium which helps maintain healthy blood pressure. A wonderful skin and hair food – beta carotene and vitamin C help maintain healthy collagen.
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Place the butternut squash in a large baking dish. Toss with 2tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and soft
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Pour in the vinegar, maple syrup, chilli flakes and berries and simmer for 2 minutes until syrupy.
- Place the salad leaves on a large platter or bowl. Spoon the butternut squash on top and drizzle over the berry dressing, feta, chopped mint and toasted nuts to serve.
Nutrition per serving 290kcal, Fat 16g, Carbohydrates 23.6g, Protein 10.2g
600g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (2cm)
2tbsp olive oil
1tsp sea salt
2 garlic cloves crushed
3tbsp raspberry vinegar or sherry vinegar
2tsp maple syrup
1 red onion diced
pinch of chilli flakes
30g dried cherries or raisins
2tbsp chopped fresh mint
200g mixed salad leaves
150g feta cheese, crumbled, shredded cooked chicken or tofu cubes pan fried
30g toasted cashew nuts