This recipe is from my book Eat to Get Younger. It’s a delicious fresh tasting, protein-packed salad and perfect for keeping the body energised through the day. A really popular recipe with friends and family. The dressing is tangy, lightly spiced and bursting with fresh flavours and is ideal served with fish and seafood too. If you can get hold of green papaya then shred it and add to the salad. To get really thin long strips of vegetables try using a spiraliser- they are excellent for all types of salads and raw dishes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves – 4
What’s good about it?
Light, low carb and protein rich this is a fabulous salad to keep you energised through the day.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a medium pan. Add the chicken and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to stand for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and shred.
- Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl with the chicken. Make up the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together. Toss in the dressing and sprinkle over the herbs to serve. Season with a little freshly ground black pepper to taste. Scatter over some nuts if wished.
Did you Know?
Information to follow.
- 500ml/1 pint chicken stock
- 3 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- Handful of toasted nuts to serve
- 125ml/4fl oz lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey, sweet freedom or coconut syrup
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- Handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Handful of fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper