This is a delicious vegan korma using pan fried tofu and a colourful selection of vegetables which are simmered gently in a creamy curry coconut sauce. Really simple to make as you simply blend up the sauce ingredients and then simmer the vegetables until tender. You could swap the tofu for a can of chickpeas if you prefer. You could use a bag of mixed frozen vegetables instead of fresh for speed.
Difficulty – Easy
Time 15 minutes preparation and 20 minutes cooking
What’s good about it?
Tofu is low in calories, but high in protein and fat. It also contains many important vitamins and minerals such as calcium, selenium, manganese and copper. It is also a good source of isoflavones which have been linked to various health benefits – heart health, bone health, menopause symptoms and reducing the risk of certain cancers. It is not however fermented and a better source of high protein soy would be tempeh.
- First make up the sauce. Simply place all the ingredients in a blender and process to form a smooth sauce.
- Sprinkle the cornflour on a tray or plate. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the cubes of tofu in the cornflour to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large saute or frying pan. Once hot add the tofu pieces. Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove from the pan.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the vegetables. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are just tender. Season. Add the tofu pieces and warm through.
- Scatter over the nuts and coriander to serve
Did You Know?
You can vary the intensity of this sauce by adding some extra chilli and smoked paprika if wished. If you can get fresh root turmeric use this for a healthier dose of curcumin – the anti-inflammatory compound naturally found in turmeric.
1 onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves
2cm piece of root ginger
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1tbsp tomato puree
2 tomatoes, chopped
1tbsp curry powder
1tbsp garam masala
1/2 tsp each of ground cumin and coriander
Pinch of chilli powder to taste
1 x 400g can of full fat coconut milk
Pinch of stevia to taste
1tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
1 block 450g firm tofu – cut into 3-4cm cubes
sea salt and black pepper
4 cups of colourful vegetables – red pepper, broccoli, green beans, carrots, frozen peas, cauliflower, courgette etc
Handful of roasted and salted cashew nuts
Handful of fresh coriander chopped to garnish