Protein packed this delicious burgers are meaty in texture and full of flavours thanks to the addition of spices and mustard. Serve these in gluten free rolls with plenty of salad and pickles. These burgers can be prepared ahead of time and baked when needed. Any leftovers are delicious reheated the next day. They can also be frozen uncooked.
Makes 5-6 burgers
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Tempeh is a fermented soy bean product which has a delicious nutty flavour and firmer than tofu. A great way to add plenty of protein to a dish.
- If baking immediately then preheat the oven to 190C, gas mark 5.
- Grease a baking tray.
- Place the flax or chia seeds in a small bowl and pour over the water. Stir and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Place the tempeh, oats, onion in a food processor and blitz to break up the tempeh. Add the remaining ingredients including the flaxseed mixture and process to combine. Keep a little texture.
- Shape the mixture into 5-6 burgers and place on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve in rolls with lettuce and pickles
Nutrition per serving with roll 364kcal, Fat 16g, Carbohydrates 32.5g, Protein 18.3g
Did You Know?
You can use firm tofu instead of tempeh. Press and dry it well between kitchen towel before using.
2 tbsp flax or chia seeds
I x 200g packet tempeh
60g gluten free oats
1 small onion, chopped
60g gluten free breadcrumbs (ideally 1 day old)
50g sun dried tomatoes (drained)
3 tbsp mixed seeds
2tbsp Dijon mustard
2tbsp low sugar ketchup or tomato puree
2tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
2tbsp tamari soy sauce
1 garlic clove crushed
1tsp smoked paprika
1tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper
To serve: gluten free rolls
Lettuce, pickles, tomatoes