This hearty vegan dish is packed with protein thanks to the addition of tempeh and the red lentil pasta is a great way to up the fibre too. Using dried mushrooms gives the dish a wonderful rich and slightly earthy taste. Warming and comforting this is super easy to make – once you have chopped all the veggies you just let it simmer gently in a pan. I diced up the tempeh but if you wanted smaller pieces you could pulse it in a food processor. If you cannot find tempeh then use firm smoked tofu instead.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Tempeh is a fermented soy product and incredibly nutritious. A great protein source and also rich in many vitamins and minerals including calcium, magnesium, B vitamins as well as soy isoflavones known for various health benefits.
- Pour 200ml boiling water over the dried mushrooms and let them soak for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan and add the onion and garlic. Saute over a medium heat for a couple of minutes then add the remaining vegetables, spices and tempeh.
- Stir well and cook gently for 10 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Drain the dried mushrooms reserving the liquid and finely chop.
- Add the tomatoes, mushroom stock and dried mushrooms and tomato puree. Add the maple syrup if using.
- Cover the pan and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook your pasta until al dente and then drain.
- Tip the pasta into the bolognese and stir well.
- Season to taste.
Nutrition per serving 296kcal, Fat 6.9g, Carbohydrates 29.6g, Protein 23.6g
Did You Know?
You could replace the tempeh for sunflower mince instead or use 2 cans of kidney beans.
15g dried mushrooms
1tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 red peppers diced
300g mixed mushrooms, chopped
1tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder or to taste
1tsp dried mixed herbs
400g tempeh or smoked tofu, diced or pulsed in a food processor
2 cans (400g) chopped tomatoes
60g tomato puree
1tsp maple syrup or xylitol – optional
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
250g Red Lentil Pasta or other pasta to serve