This is a fabulous vegan fruity dessert cake packed with fresh berries and apple and only lightly sweetened with xylitol. The nut topping is delicious and you can vary the nuts according to taste. I like chopped pistachio nuts or walnuts. This is wonderful warming Autumn dessert but you could change around the fruit according to what’s in season. Try peaches and apricots in the Summer.
Difficulty – Easy
Time 15 minutes preparation plus 30 minutes cooking time
Makes 1 cake/ 20cm / 8-10 servings
What’s good about it?
A delicious fruity cake – the addition of nuts provides plenty of protein in this cake and fibre to make this a satisfying low sugar treat. Using flaxseed is a great way to replace eggs in this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 170C, gas mark 3. Grease and line a 18cm / 7inch springform cake tin.
- Place the flaxseed in the almond milk and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- Place the almonds, flour, baking powder, soda and cinnamon in a food processor and mix well. add half of the chopped nuts, coconut yogurt, xylitol, oil and flaxseed mix and beat well to combine.
- Place half of the mixture in the cake tin and spread it out evenly. Scatter over the chopped apples and blackberries and press down lightly. Top with the remaining cake mixture – it may not cover the fruit completely. Sprinkle over the remaining chopped nuts and press lightly into the cake mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until cooked through and golden on top.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes then remove. This is delicious served warm with coconut yogurt or can be served cold.
Chestnut flour is lower in fat than other nut flours and a good source of fibre. Chestnut flour also provides plenty of manganese, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and copper. A useful flour to replace grains in cakes and puddings.
Makes 1 18cm / 7inch cake
125g chopped nuts
2tbsp ground flaxseeds
6tbsp almond milk
125g ground almonds
75g chestnut or buckwheat flour
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g coconut yogurt – plain or berry flavour
4tbsp olive oil
30g xylitol or erythritol
2 small apples finely chopped
200g blackberries -fresh or frozen