Looking for a healthy treat? Try this one. I created this muffin for my vegan clients who also wish to follow a more paleo style diet. Simeon one of my boys also has difficulty with eggs so it is always good to find options he will like. The use of psyllium husks is a great egg alternative and helps to bind the muffin. It would probably also work with chia seeds. I like using bags of frozen fruit – such a healthy choice but you could use fresh berries instead.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 40 minutes cooking time, 15 minutes preparation time
Makes 6-8 muffins
What’s good about it?
Using nuts in this recipe makes this more protein rich and lower in carbs than traditional muffins. This recipe uses a little xylitol to sweeten to keep the overall sugar content low. Raspberries are incredibly rich in antioxidants and vitamin C and many studies have shown their potential anti-cancer benefits. They also contain plenty of fibre to stabilise blood sugar levels and contain two compounds raspberry ketone (also called rheosmin) and a type of flavonoid called tiliroside thought to help support metabolism and weight loss.
- Whisk the psyllium husk powder and almond milk together in a large mixing bowl and set aside, allowing the mixture to thicken.
- Pulse the hazelnuts in a food processor until a fine powder has formed. Add the almonds and desiccated coconut with the baking powder and xylitol. Grind up until fine.
- Pour in the almond milk mixture, the vanilla and the coconut oil and blend – then allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
- Fold the raspberries into the batter, along with the chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into the lined muffin pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the muffins have firmed up and turned golden brown.
For a lighter option replace the nuts with gluten free self raising flour.
1 tablespoon ground psyllium husk
200 ml almond milk
30 g/1⁄4 cup hazelnuts
110 g/1 cup almond flour
20 g desiccated coconut
2tsp baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2tbsp coconut oil melted
100g frozen or fresh raspberries
60g chopped dairy free chocolate or chocolate chips