This is a fabulous vegan cookie recipe and perfect for back to school after school treats or lunch boxes. Many of my clients ask me for egg free recipes so instead of egg I have used a popular egg replacer known as aquafaba. Read my blog about this great egg replacer that is so cheap.
Use any chocolate protein powder you like – for a vegan option I like to use Vega or Sunwarrier. I have tried it with vanilla and chocolate protein powders and both taste amazing. Using ground almonds is a great way to keep this grain free and paleo friendly. It also provides plenty of protein and healthy fats in this recipe. For the chocolate chips I like the Plamil brand. What’s great about this recipe is the protein powder helps balance blood sugar meaning it is ideal for those times you need something to keep you energised and of course ideal for children too.
Difficulty – Easy
Time 20 minutes cooking, 5 minutes preparation
What’s good about it?
Protein powders are a great addition to cookie mixes and an easy way to increase the protein content. For a dairy free vegan option choose pea, rice, hemp or sunflower protein powders or combination blends.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4
- Place the ground almonds, protein powder, soda and salt in a food processor and combine. Add the remaining ingredients except the chocolate chips and process to form a thick batter.
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture onto a lined baking tray spacing the cookies apart slightly. Flatten the cookies lightly.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tray and cool on a wire rack.
Aquafaba is simply chickpea juice from the can and is a fabulous egg replacer and ideal for use in a whole range of vegan recipes – for more details read our blog.
150g ground almonds
50g chocolate or vanilla protein powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of sea salt
3tbsp coconut syrup or maple syrup or sweet freedom
30g coconut oil
1tsp vanilla extract
3tbsp chickpea juice (aquafaba, liquid from can)
75g dairy free, sugar free chocolate chips