This is a vegan version of the popular creamy pasta dish but dairy free and egg free. The addition of tamari soy sauce and miso provides plenty of flavour while the nutritional yeast flakes is a great way to add that ‘cheesy’ taste. This is a perfect dish to use up leftover vegetables in the fridge too. I love using shiitake mushrooms but any type of mushroom would be delicious. This is such a quick simple dish – watch our video showing how to create it.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
What’s Good About It?
The addition of nutritional yeast flakes not only provides plenty of flavour but is a source of B vitamins and protein too. Shiitake mushrooms are a source of polysaccharides known to support immune health.
- Mix together the miso paste, cornflour and soy cream.
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente, drain but reserve some of the pasta water.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and saute the onion and mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Add the vinegar and tamari soy sauce and season with black pepper.
- Add the spinach leaves and stir briefly to wilt. Add the cooked spaghetti, miso sauce and a little pasta water. Stir well to combine.
- Scatter with parsley to serve.
Did You Know?
For additional protein why not add a can of chickpeas to the dish or pan fried tofu.
2tsp miso paste
100ml soy cream
2tbsp tamari soy sauce
2tsp balsamic vinegar
1 onion, chopped
200g shiitake mushrooms sliced.
200g baby spinach leaves
150g gluten free spaghetti
Black pepper to taste
chopped parsley to serve