A delicious protein packed vegan treat. Perfect for the festive season and a great way to use up leftover mincemeat if you’re sick of mince pies! Using a can of chickpeas gives these blondies a higher protein content and a wonderful creamy texture. These are lovely and moist so make sure you allow the blondies to cool in the tin before removing as they are soft. You can freeze these for up to 3 months too.
Makes 16 blondies
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Mashed chickpeas and bananas are a great way to replace eggs in vegan dishes – this also creates a moist cake and provides plenty of fibre and protein. You could replace the banana with 100g apple puree if preferred.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4. Line an 8×8 inch (20cm) traybake pan with parchment paper.
- Place the banana, yogurt and chickpeas in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the softened dairy free spread, vanilla and beat to incorporate.
- Add the dry ingredients including the spices and process until smooth and a thick batter is producing.
- Stir in the mincemeat and pistachios.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking pan and smooth the top. If wished scatter over a few extra chopped pistachio nuts.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden on top. Allow to cool in the tin completely before removing and cutting into bars.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months. If keeping them for longer than a few days place in the fridge.
Did You Know?
You could omit the nuts if needed or use an alternative nut / seed. You could also replace the nuts with chocolate chips if preferred.
1 ripe medium sized banana
50g Thick coconut yogurt (or soya yogurt)
1 cup of canned chickpeas, drained
60g dairy free spread or coconut oil softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g gluten free self raising flour
50g ground almonds
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
150g mincemeat (check labels)
50g shelled pistachios whole or roughly chopped