This is a perfect summer cake. Vegan and gluten free it is wonderfully light and ideal for celebrations. Instead of making it as a layered cake you can simply bake it in 2lb loaf tin and drizzle over a little extra cordial if wished. Vegan lemon curd is really easy to make just follow my recipe below.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 40 minutes cooking
Makes 1 Cake
What’s good about it?
Using xylitol is a great way to keep the overall sugar content low. You can use coconut milk instead of almond milk if wished.
- Heat up the oven to 180° C / 350° F and grease two 15 cm / 6″ round baking tins with a small amount of oil.
- Mix and sift all your dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream olive oil and xylitol with an electric whisk.
- Add the almond milk and cordial and whisk briefly
- Add dry ingredients to the wet. Fold them in gently but do not overmix
- Spoon the batter into the tins. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before filling
- Fill the cake with vegan lemon curd and nut yogurt
- If wished drizzle the top of the cake with elderflower cordial or icing
- Store in the fridge for 2-3 days
Did You Know?
Instead of nut yogurt you could use whipped coconut cream (the top part of a can of coconut milk)
250g gluten free self-raising flour
2 tbsp cornflour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp baking powder
110 ml olive oil
200ml almond milk
60ml elderflower cordial
Zest of 2 lemons
Nut Yogurt – use this recipe but use diluted elderflower cordial instead of the orange
Elderflower cordial or icing and lemon zest