A fabulous egg free lemon curd. Easy to make and wonderfully sharp and tangy. This is delicious as a spread or as a filling for cakes, muffins and tarts. Store in the fridge and use within 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. If you are looking for great vegan recipes get my GO LEAN VEGAN book – complete with 21 meal plan to follow
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 5 minutes cooking
Makes 1 small jar
What’s good about it?
Lemons are high in heart-healthy vitamin C and several beneficial plant compounds that have been shown to lower cholesterol. Using xylitol helps keep the sugar content low – you could also use stevia and erythritol too.
- Mix a little of the lemon juice with the cornflour to make a smooth paste and set aside.
- Place the remaining lemon juice and zest in a small pan with xylitol over a medium heat. Stir all the time until the xylitol has dissolved.
- Pour in the cornflour paste and beat continuously over a medium heat until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the coconut cream, dairy free spread and salt. If you mixture is a little lumpy or coarse you can push it through a sieve.
- Pour into a sterilised jar or container and chill to thicken.
- Store in the fridge or you can freeze for up to 3 months
Did You Know?
Store this in the fridge – it can also be frozen if wished. Instead of lemon you could make orange curd or a mixed citrus curd.
zest and juice of 4 unwaxed lemons
2 tbsp cornflour
3 tbsp coconut cream
3 tbsp dairy free spread
Pinch of sea salt