Tangy and light, these vegan lemon bars make a delicious dessert particularly when served with coconut yogurt or vegan ice cream. Using xylitol helps keep the overall sugar content down. These can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Makes 16 bars
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Packed with vitamin C thanks to the addition of lemon. These bars are low in sugar and a good source of fibre and protein to keep blood sugar levels balanced.
- Line a 20cm square baking tin with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas mark 5.
- Add the oats, almonds, sea salt, xylitol to a food processor and blitz until fine. Add the remaining ingredients and blend briefly to form a soft dough. If too crumbly add a dash of water.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking tin and press down firmly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then increase heat to 375 F (190 C) and bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven then reduce the temperature to 180C, gas mark 4.
- For the filling blend all the ingredients together in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling over the crust and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until just firm.
- Allow the bar to cool completely then place in the fridge for 3-4 hours to firm up.
Did You Know?
You could swap the almonds in the base for another nut – walnuts and pecans are particularly good. Cut the bar into squares and open freeze. You could serve this as a frozen dessert if wished.
125g cashew nuts soaked in warm water for 4 hours then drained
225g coconut cream – the top of a can of full fat coconut milk
2 Tbsp cornflour
125ml Lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
zest of 2 lemons
Pinch sea salt
1tbsp maple syrup
125g gluten-free oats
125g ground almonds
pinch of sea salt
100g coconut oil, melted
1tsp vanilla extract