A delicious vegan dessert perfect for the Summer. I like to include fresh raspberries in this tart in addition to raspberry jam for a lovely fruity taste. You could vary the fruit according to what is available. Pitted cherries and blackberries would be a great option.
Difficulty – Medium
Time – 20 minutes, 60 mins cooking time
What’s good about it?
Raspberries are a good source of fibre and vitamin C. They are also high in antioxidants, plant compounds that protect against cell damage. Being rich in fibre and. low GI fruit they are a great source fof digestive health and balancing blood sugar.
- Place the flour and xanthum gum in a bowl or food processor. Add the dairy free spread and rub it into the dry ingredients with your fingers (or use a food processor) until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add a dash of water and mix to form a soft dough. Press into a flat circle and cover with cling. Ideally chill for 15 mintues before rolling.
- Spread cling film on the work surface and place the dough on top. Top with cling film and roll out large enough to line a 20cm loose bottom tart tin.
- Line the tin with the pastry and trim off the excess. Place the tart in the fridge and chill for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas mark 5. Bake the pastry blind for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Make the filling. Cream the oil and xylitol with an electric whisk or food processor. Gradually add the flour and aquafaba and mix well. Beat in the ground almonds and almond extract until smooth.
- Spread a little raspberry jam on the base of the tart. Spoon in the filling and smooth the top. Push a few fresh raspberries into the filling. Scatter over some flaked almonds.
- Bake the tart for about 35-45 minutes, until the filling is nicely browned. Allow to cool in the tin before removing.
Did You Know?
Aquafaba (drained juice from a can of chickpeas) is a great way to replace eggs in a recipe. Being starchy it can help to bind and add texture to a mixture.
240g gluten free plain flour
¾ tsp xantham gum
115g dairy free spread or coconut oil
80ml light olive oil or dairy free spread
30g gluten free plain flour
200g ground almonds
Dash of almond extract to taste
Pure raspberry fruit spread
Handful of fresh raspberries
30g flaked almond to top