Back to the family classics – this vegan and gluten free version of pineapple upside down cake is also much lower in sugar than traditional versions. Serve this warm or cold with dairy free yogurt or cream.
Makes 1 x 7inch cake / Serves 12
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Using xylitol and pineapple juice is a great way to sweeten this cake without added sugars. Lower in sugar than traditional pineapple cakes this makes a delicious healthy treat.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 7 inch cake tin with parchment paper. Do not use a springform cake tin unless it has a really tight seal otherwise the batter may leak out.
- Place the pineapple pieces on the base of the cake tin in concentric circles
- Beat the cake ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour over the pineapple and smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until cooked through.
- Allow to cool in the tin then tin out onto a wire rack. Carefully remove the parchment paper then spread the top with a little maple syrup
Nutrition per serving 168kcal, Total Fat 7.3g of which saturates 1.8g, Carbohydrates 24g of which sugars 4g, Protein 2.8g, Fibre 1.1g
Did You Know?
Use vanilla flavoured soy milk for additional flavour. This could be made with other canned fruit – peaches works really well.
Serves 12 / Makes 1 x 7inch cake
1 x 400g can pineapple chunks drained (keep the juice for below)
250g Gluten Free self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
115g dairy free spread, melted
115g pineapple juice (use reserved juice from can)
200g soy milk
2tsp apple cider vinegar