A delicious moist carrot cake. Using olive oil and apple puree avoids the need to add eggs. The apple other provides a natural sweetness which with the additional of xylitol helps keep the overall sugar content low.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation, 40-50 minutes cooking
Makes 1 x 2lb loaf cake
What’s good about it?
Carrots are a particularly good source of beta-carotene, fibre, vitamin K, potassium and antioxidants. Vitamin A is important for eyesight, skin health and immune function.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- In a bowl mix together all wet ingredients until smooth. You can do this in a food processor if wished.
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients to form a thick batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes until cooked through. Insert a skewer into the centre and it should come out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out and cool on a rack.
Did You Know?
Instead of carrots try grated courgette, pear or apple
1 carrot about 100g in weight, grated
75g apple puree
100ml light olive oil
185g gluten free self raising flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp baking powder
pinch of sea salt
1tsp ground cinnmon
1tsp mixed spice
30g chopped walnuts