This gluten free bread is so easy to make and is much higher in protein thanks to the addition of buckwheat and seeds. The night before remember to soak the buckwheat. This is best served on the day it is made but can also be sliced and frozen too.
Soaking time: overnight
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Makes 1 loaf/10 slices
What’s Good About it?
This bread is yeast free and high in protein and fibre making it perfect for a satisfying snack on the go. You can freeze this bread for up to 3 months. Slice and open freeze then place in freezer bags for easy use.
- Place the buckwheat in a bowl and cover with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Drain and rinse well.
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line with baking parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 160C, gas mark 3.
- Place the buckwheat in a food processor with the ground seeds, flaxseeds, coconut flour and chia seeds and process to combine.
- Blend in the remaining ingredients until the mixture is almost smooth.
- Stir in the mixed seeds.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and scatter some additional seeds on top.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes until a skewer or sharp knife inserted into the loaf comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a rack and allow to cool before slicing.
Did You Know?
Buckwheat is related to the rhubarb family and does not contain gluten. It’s high in manganese, copper, and magnesium and also a great source of plant antioxidants including quercetin and rutin.
75g buckwheat soaked overnight
50g ground sunflower seed
25g ground flaxseed
30g coconut flour
50g chia seeds
1tsp bicarbonate of sod
1tsp baking powder
½ tsp xanthum gum
1tbsp olive oil
2tsp powdered psyllium husks
½ tsp sea salt
1tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
50g mixed seeds