This delicious creamy bake is the perfect prepare ahead meal and ideal healthy comfort food. With layers of roasted aubergine, tomato sauce with earthy lentils and topped with a creamy tofu sauce this makes a complete meal. Just accompany with a side salad for an easy weekday dish. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
What’s Good About It?
The addition of lentils to the sauce provides a great source of protein and fibre to make this a complete meal.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, Gas mark 5.
- Thinly slice the aubergines lengthways. Place the slices on baking trays and drizzle with a little olive oil
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes turning half way.
- Make the sauce. Heat the oil in a large pan and saute the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes. Add the celery and carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Make the tofu sauce by placing all the ingredients in a blender and processing until smooth.
- Assemble the dish. Spoon a little of the sauce in a baking dish then layer over some of the aubergine. Repeat with layers of tomato sauce and aubergine.
- Finish with the tofu sauce then scatter over the breadcrumbs and pine nuts.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Did You Know?
Using tofu in the sauce is a great way to increase the overall protein content of this dish.
2tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
50g pine nuts
100g gluten free breadcrumbs
Tomato and Lentil Sauce
1tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 celery stalk
1 carrot, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
800g passata (sieved tomato sauce)
1 x can (400g) green / brown lentils
pinch of smoked paprika
seasoning to taste
Creamy Tofu Sauce
300g silken tofu, drained
2tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1tsp Dijon mustard
1tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic salt
Black pepper to taste
1tsp apple cider vinegar