Creamy and super easy to make, this sweet potato is a perfect winter warming soup. Using shop bought red Thai curry paste really packs in the flavour and combines beautifully with the coconut milk. Drizzle with a little soy cream and top with herbs and spring onion for a speedy dish. If vegan check labels of the curry paste to make sure it is suitable.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Sweet potatoes are a perfect immune supporting food. Packed with antioxidants including beta carotene which the body converts to vitamin A. They also contain vitamin C, B vitamins and selenium. They are an excellent source of soluble fibre to support a healthy gut flora. Blending in a can of beans adds extra fibre and protein.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Saute the onion, celery, garlic, ginger over a low heat for 3-4 minutes to soft.
- Add the sweet potato and carrots and toss in the oil.
- Pour in the coconut milk, stock, red curry paste, butterbeans and lime juice and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender,.
- Puree the soup. If too thick add a little extra water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat in the pan and serve.
Nutrition per serving: 288kcal, Fat 11g, Carbohydrates 36g, Protein 6g
Did You Know?
Instead of butter beans you could blend in 200g silken tofu to create a creamier texture.
1tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, chopped (400g)
3 carrots, chopped
1 can (400ml) light coconut milk
200ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp thai red curry paste
1 can butterbeans, drained
2tsp lime juice
sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Spring onions, chopped
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped