A light yet creamy and comforting soup and super speedy to make. Rather than using two cans of coconut milk you could add some chicken stock to replace one can to make it lighter. Refreshing and tangy thanks to the addition of lime juice, tamari soy sauce and fish sauce. This is a perfect soup for using up leftover cooked chicken. You could also throw in some courgette noodles to make it more substantial.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 10 minutes preparation time, 5 minutes cooking time
Serves – 4
What’s good about it?
Coconut milk is a great source of lauric acid which the body converts into monolaurin known for its anti-microbial benefits. This makes it a wonderful addition to support immune health .
- Place the coconut milk in a pan and heat gently.
- Add the tom yum paste, lime juice , saffron, turmeric, fish sauce and tamari and simmer gently for a couple of minutes
- Add the chicken, spinach and chilli and heat through for 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Did you Know?
Tom yum paste is readily available in supermarkets or you can make your own. It normally contains a mixture of ingredients such as lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice, fish sauce, and crushed chili pepper. It is a delicious simple way to jazz up soups and curries and is also fabulous used as a marinade for fish and chicken.
- 2 x 400ml cans full fat coconut milk
- 1tbsp tom yum paste
- juice of ½ lime
- pinch of saffron strands
- pinch of turmeric
- 1tsp fish sauce
- 1tsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 handful of spinach or watercress
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- handful of coriander to garnish