This is a delicious easy to make vegan burger. Portobello mushrooms have a naturally meaty texture and are robust enough to be griddled coated in a gluten free teriyaki sauce. You can use guacamole or vegan mayo for a topping with plenty of veggies too. Melted vegan cheese would also be delicious. Watch our video showing how easy it is to make on our you tube channel – christinebaileyinthekitchen
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 20 minutes cooking time
Serves – 2
What’s good about it?
Mushrooms are a great nutrient power house. A useful low carb vegetable with protein and fibre to keep your blood sugars balanced. They are also a good source of beta glucan is a form of soluble dietary fiber that’s been strongly linked to improving cholesterol and improving immune and heart health.
- Place all the teriyaki sauce ingredients in a pan. Stir well over a low heat for a couple of minutes until it begins to thicken. Cool for 5 minutes before using.
- Trim the portobello mushrooms and remove the stalk.
- Place the mushrooms in a large bowl. Pour over the teriyaki sauce and coat well. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until just soft.
- Preheat a lightly oiled griddle pan.
- Griddle the mushrooms on both sides for a couple of minutes
- Spread vegan mayo or gucacamole over the bottom half of a roll. Place the mushroom on the roll. Top with sliced tomatoes, gherkins, lettuce and red onions or whatever you fancy. Place the other half of the roll on the top and enjoy!
Did You Know?
Instead of mushrooms you can slice firm tofu and marinate instead of the mushrooms and simply bake or grill before using.
4tbsp gluten free soy sauce
1tbsp coconut sugar or xylitol
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1tbsp cornflour mixed into 3tbsp water
2 portobello mushrooms
Gluten free rolls
Vegan mayo or guacamole