I love warm salads – they are so comforting and feel more substantial as a meal. This dish can actually be served warm or cold and makes ideal leftover lunches if you want to cook in bulk. The pesto dressing is a simple cheats dressing using some prepared shop bought vegan pesto but it is a great way to liven up cooked veggies generally. Swap the butterbeans for chickpeas or pan fried tofu if wished.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Sweet potato is packed with antioxidants particularly carotenoids (beta carotene) which can be converted into vitamin A to support immune and skin health. A great source of fibre they are gut friendly acting as a prebiotic to support our gut microbiome.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas mark 5.
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into small chunks.
- Place in a roasting tray and toss with a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally until golden and cooked.
- Assemble the salad. Toss the ingredients together with the sweet potato and place on a platter. Season with a little more black pepper.
- Mix the pesto with a little water or lemon juice to thin. Drizzle over the salad to serve.
Nutrition per serving: 272kcal, Fat 8.3g, Carbohydrates 37.3g, Protein 7.3g
Did You Know?
You could replace the sweet potato for butternut squash if preferred. Save time and use a bag of frozen butternut squash chunks and cook from frozen.
For a higher protein content add an egg, cooked chicken or additional can of beans to this salad.
3 sweet potatoes (about 450g)
1tbsp olive oil
100g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 can of butterbeans, drained
100g cooked sweetcorn
Bag of rocket leaves (or other leafy salad green)
3tbsp vegan pesto
1-2 tbsp water or lemon juice
Sea salt and black pepper to season