This is a delicious gluten free muffin and perfect for packed lunches or a healthy snack. Full of Mediterranean flavours they are delicious warm from the oven or served with eggs and grilled vegetables for a breakfast style brunch. For a dairy free option you could use soy cheese or omit and stir in a spoonful of nutritional yeast flakes for additional flavour.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 25-30 minutes cooking
Serves – 8
What’s good about it?
A fabulous savoury muffin – you can vary the ingredients according to taste. Herbs, roasted red pepper, chopped spring onions are all great options.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas 4. Line a muffin tin with paper cases
- Place the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt into a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly. Add the dairy-free cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and basil leaves and mix well.
- Mix together the oil, eggs, tomato purée and milk.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and gently mix in. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and place on a cool rack. Delicious eaten hot or cold
Did You Know?
For additional fibre why not swap 50g of the flour with gluten free oats? You can freeze the muffins for up to 3 months.
Makes 7-8 muffins
225g self raising gluten free flour
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
¼ tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp salt
80g cheese or dairy-free cheese, grated
40g or 5 drained, bottled sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
8 olives, pitted and chopped
4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
75g coconut oil, melted or olive oil
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tbsp sun dried tomato paste
150ml milk or dairy-free milk