Nourishing and simple to make using store cupboard ingredients. This vegan dish is perfect served hot or cold with plenty of salad on the side.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Packed with protein and fibre this is a brilliant dish for using up leftovers in the cupboard. The filling is equally delicious stuffed into large beef tomatoes or topped on portobello mushrooms.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the peppers and place on a baking tray. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes to soften.
- In a large frying pan heat the olive oil and fry the onion, lentils with the mustard, tomatoes for 5 minutes. Add the packet of rice and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- Stuff the rice filling into the peppers and place back in the oven for 3-5 minutes. You can prepare the filling in advance and then reheat the peppers when ready to serve.
- Delicious served hot or cold.
Did You know?
Instead of lentils try chickpeas. You could also add some flaked almonds to the rice mixture for additional texture.
4 Romano peppers, halved lengthways and deseeded
olive oil for drizzling
1tbsp olive oil
1 can green lentils, drained
1tsp Dijon mustard
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
250g packet of wholegrain ready cooked rice
8 pitted olives, chopped
1tbsp lemon juice
handful of chopped mint and parsley
salt and pepper
4 sundried tomatoes, chopped