I love this cake – so simple to throw together and perfect for the summer. You can decorate with fresh strawberries brushed with a little strawberry jam or for something more indulgent try icing with a buttercream style icing – you could use coconut cream sweetened with a little honey.
Difficulty – Moderate
Time – 35-40 minutes cooking time
Serves – 8
What’s good about it?
Strawberries are a great source of vitamin C to support immune health and promote formation of collagen needed for glowing skin and hair. They are packed with ellagic acid known for its cancer protective properties and plenty of soluble fibre to support digestive health and maintain healthy cholesterol.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Place the dairy free spread, vanilla, eggs and xylitol in a food processor and process for about 5 minutes until soft and creamy. Add the soda, coconut flour and process again.
- Add the coconut yogurt and blend to form a thick batter.
- Pulse in the strawberries
- Spoon the batter into a greased and lined 9inch springform cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40minutes until golden and cooked through
- Allow to cool in the tin before turning out and cooling on a wire rack
- Decorate with sliced strawberries then drizzle over a little warmed strawberry jam
Did you Know?
Using coconut flour in cake recipes is a great paleo option and provides plenty of soluble fibre to balance blood sugar levels. Use a range of fruits to replace the strawberries in this recipe. You could also add a chocolate flavour by replacing 30g of the coconut flour with cocoa powder.
100g dairy free spread or coconut butter or butter if tolerated
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g coconut flour
100g CO YO coconut yogurt plain, vanilla or berry flavours
100g strawberries chopped
To decorate – sliced fresh strawberries, pure fruit strawberry jam melted