Socca is a Mediterranean pancake traditionally made with gram flour, water and olive oil. This makes is naturally gluten free, vegan and high in protein. Gram flour is not only protein rich but a great source of B vitamins, iron, magnesium and potassium. These are wonderful little flatbreads almost like pancakes. Ideal for serving with soups, dips or using as a gluten free wrap. I like to flavour these with smoked paprika and cumin but you could also add some turmeric for an anti-inflammatory boost.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 10 minutes preparation, 15 minutes cooking
Serves – Makes 2 flatbreads
What’s good about it?
Gram Flour also known as chickpea flour is a great way of adding more protein and fibre into your diet. Use it in savoury breads and muffins, waffles and pancakes. The fibre also helps support balanced blood sugar, digestion and promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in your gut.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or nutri bullet with 160ml water.
- Blend to form a smooth batter.
- Heat a little coconut oil in a non stick frying pan until hot.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter into the pan, swirling it so that the mixture spreads to the edges. Reduce the heat to low-medium and cook gently. It will take around 5-6 minutes on the first side. At this point the edges will start to turn golden and the middle will have little bubbles.
- Flip the pancake over and cook for a further minute. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Cut them into wedges and serve with soup, stews or top with a little drizzle of olive oil and serve as a snack.
[recipe]Chickpea flour is a great addition to a plant based diet. Consuming beans has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and protective benefits against cancer, in particular cancer within the digestive tract including colon, stomach and kidney cancer. This is due to the high-fibre content in beans and legumes that can support detox and elimination.
75g gram flour (chickpea flour)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cumin
pinch of black pepper
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1tbsp olive oil
Coconut oil for frying