A sweet orange tangy sauce coats crispy pan fried tofu in this delicious Asian dish. Serve over rice or cauliflower rice for a speedy vegan dish
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Tofu is a great vegan source of protein and contains all nine essential amino acids. It is also a valuable plant source of iron and calcium and the minerals manganese and phosphorous.
- Make the sauce. Place the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan. Whisk together until combined. Place over a medium heat and whisk constantly until the sauce begins thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
- Toss the tofu pieces in the cornflour, onion powder and garlic salt. Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Add the tofu and pan fry on each side until golden. Remove from the pan.
- Add the sliced red chilli, shredded pak choy, red pepper and mushrooms and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tofu back to the pan and mix in the sauce. Sprinkle over sesame seeds and serve with cauliflower rice or cooked rice.
Nutrition per serving 194kcal, Fat 7.4g, Carbs 19.3g, Protein 10.9g
Nutrition per serving with 100g cooked rice. 360kcal. Fat 9.3g, Carbs 51.7g, Protein 15.2g
Did You Know?
For a meat version substitute the tofu for strips of chicken breast.
150ml orange juice
3 tbsp tamari soy sauce
2tbsp xylitol or maple syrup
1tbsp rice vinegar
1tsp garlic crushed
1tbsp grated ginger
Pinch of chilli flakes
1 tbsp cornflour made into a paste with 3tbsp water
400g block firm tofu, dried on kitchen paper
1tsp onion powder
pinch of garlic salt
1tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
4 shittake mushrooms, sliced
1 red pepper, diced
2 heads of Pak choy – shredded
Rice or cauliflower rice to serve.
1tbsp sesame seeds