I love this recipe – it is taken from my new book Eat Yourself Pregnant. It is so quick and easy to make and delicious served cold as part of an energising lunch. The light, herby dressing is delicious over a range of meats and is rich in beneficial probiotics to support digestive health. If possible, leave the lamb to marinate overnight before cooking. Lamb is an excellent source of iron and zinc, which is important for energy, growth, development and immune health
Difficulty – Easy
Serves – 4
What’s good about it?
A high protein salad. Lamb is an excellent source of iron and zinc. Zinc is important for healthy hormone production, neurotransmitter function and immune health.
- Mix together the garlic, lemon zest, cumin and olive oil and rub over the lamb. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 2 hours, or overnight.
- For the dressing, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Put the garlic bulb on a piece of foil and drizzle over a little olive oil. Bake for about 30 minutes. Leave to cool slightly, then squeeze out the garlic flesh into a blender or food processor. Add the remaining dressing ingredients and blend together, then season to taste.
- Turn the oven up to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and sear the lamb so that it is brown all over. Transfer to a baking tin and roast for 15 minutes. Leave to rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
- Blanch the beans in a saucepan of boiling water until al dente, then drain and refresh under cold water.
- Pile the green leaves on a serving plate and top with the beans, onion and tomatoes. Top with the lamb and serve drizzled with the dressing.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 29.2g Carbohydrate 7g, of which sugars 6.1g Fat 26.3g, of which saturates 11.9g Kcals 381
Did you Know?
For a tangy dressing switch the yogurt for coconut or milk kefir which is packed with healthy beneficial bacteria to support digestive health and immune health.
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- for searing
- 500g/1lb 2oz lamb fillet
- 150g/5½oz green beans, trimmed
- 250g/9oz mixed green leaves
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 150g/5½oz/1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
garlic mint dressing
- 1 bulb of garlic
- a drizzle of olive oil
- 200g Greek yogurt or Coconut yogurt
- 1 handful of mint leaves
- 1 tsp xylitol or honey
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- a pinch of ground cumin
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- sea salt and ground black pepper