A wonderful Summer Salad: Griddled vegetables tossed with a red wine & balsamic vinegar dressing for a light satisfying meal. The addition of tofu and chickpeas provides plenty of protein in this vegan salad. The recipe includes a dressing which will make more than you need for this salad but it will keep in the fridge for at least a week and is ideal for other salads or cooked vegetables
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Packed with antioxidant rich vegetables with plenty of protein to keep you energised through the day. Asparagus are a great addition to salads – low in calories and rich in vitamins including folate and vitamins A, C and K.
- If you have a mandolin use it to thinly slice the courgettes lengthways. If not simply use a knife – keep the slices thin.
- Cut the peppers into large chunks
- Place the asparagus, courgette, onion, peppers in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over 1tbsp olive oil and loss with your hands to coat.
- Heat a griddle pan until really hot. Working in batches griddle the vegetables on each side. Allow them to char very slightly and remove from the pan. Repeat to cook all the vegetables.
- Cut the tofu into chunks and toss in a little oil. Season well. Griddle on each side until brown.
- Place the salad leaves in a large bowl and add the vegetables, chickpeas, sundried tomatoes and tofu.
- Make up the dressing. Place all the ingredients in a screw top jar or in a small bowl and shake or whisk to combine. Season well.
- Drizzle with 1tbsp dressing and toss lightly.
- Arrange on a platter and serve with the additional dressing if needed. This dressing will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Nutrition per serving (6 servings) 333kcal, Fat 26g, Carbs 11.6g, Protein 11g
Did You Know?
This would also be delicious with cooked chicken or prawns. Leftovers will keep for 1-2 days in the fridge
1tbsp olive oil
125g packet of fine asparagus spears, cut into 4cm pieces
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
200g sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained
Bag of baby spinach leaves or mixed salad leaves
1 x can (400g) chickpeas drained
1 x packet of firm tofu (350g)
Salt and black pepper
Balsamic and Red Wine Viniagrette Dressing
1 garlic clove, crushed
100ml extra virgin olive oil
2tbsp red wine vinegar
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
1tsp Dijon mustard
pinch of stevia
Salt and pepper