This is the perfect fuss free vegan salad. Delicious hot or cold you could also serve this as a side dish if wished. I love using tahini in dressings. It creates a wonderful creamy sauce and provides plenty of magnesium and healthy fats too. For additional colour try adding some roasted beetroot to this dish.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation, 25 minutes cooking time
Serves – 4
What’s good about it?
B vitamins like folate are important for boosting mood as they aid the production of the feel-good neurotransmitters. Lentils and leafy greens like rocket are good sources and both provide slow releasing carbohydrates to support the production of serotonin to help boost mood.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4. Place the carrots onto a baking sheet with 1tbsp oil and the sumac, toss well to make sure the carrots are coated.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until they are softened and browned.
- Meanwhile make the tahini dressing by whisking all the ingredients. Season to taste.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion for 3 minutes until soft. Add the lentils and heat through for a couple of minutes.
- Place the rocket on a platter. Top with the carrots and lentils. Scatter over the pomegranate seeds and drizzle with the dressing to serve.
Did You Know?
Tahini and sesame seeds are packed with mood boosting and stress busting nutrients including magnesium and essential fats. A source of plant compounds known as lignans, which may help improve sex hormone balance for women.
500g baby carrots, halved lengthways
2tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/2 tsp Sumac
1 red onion diced
1 400g can of lentils drained and rinsed
Bag of rocket leaves
60g Pomegranate seeds
3tbsp Olive oil
2tbsp Balsamic or apple cider vinegar
1tsp Dijon mustard
1tsp Maple syrup
1 Garlic clove crushed
Sea salt and black pepper to season