Flaxseed crackers are super easy to make and you don’t need to have a dehydrator. You can make a whole range of different flavoured crackers. Here is a lovely savoury version with tomato and pepper.
Makes around 16 crackers
Can be kept in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50minutes (or dehydrate overnight)
What’s Good About It?
These are brilliant high protein, high fibre crackers which are naturally gluten free. Flavour with other spices or herbs if wished. A little nutritional yeast flakes makes a brilliant addition
- Simply place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend to form a stiff paste.
- Use enough water to create a thick spreadable dough.
- Spread the batter on to a Teflon non-stick sheet placed on a baking tray. You may need to use wet hands to spread it out.
- The batter should be about 1/2cm thick.
- Shape into a square or rectangle. Score lines into the batter to make individual crackers
- If you have a dehydrator dehydrate for 5-6 hours then flip over. Dry for a further 3-4 hours.
- Alternatively place in a warm oven around 150C and bake for 30-45 minutes until crisp. Ideally flip it over if possible during cooking.
- Allow to cool then break into crackers and store in an airtight container.
Did You Know?
Flaxseeds are loaded with fibre, omega 3 fats and protein. Flax seeds contain a group of nutrients called lignans, which have powerful antioxidant properties and have phytooestrogenic properties.
250g whole flaxseed
1 red pepper
2 sundried tomatoes
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic salt
3-4tbsp lemon juice