I love raw cheesecakes – a perfect make ahead dessert that can be served chilled or as a frozen treat. This is a fabulous combination of lemon and berry – if berries are out of season simply use a bag of frozen berries. You can add a spoonful of acai berry powder or goji berry powder for an additional antioxidant boost. For more recipes like this see my Raw Food Diet Book.
Difficulty – Moderate
Time – 20 minutes preparation plus chilling time (1-2 hours)
Serves – 8-10
What’s good about it?
Berries are high in antioxidants such as anthocyanins, which may protect cells from free radical damage and lower inflammation. Their polyphenol content has also been shown to support growth of beneficial gut bacteria.
- In a food processor, whizz the pecans, almonds and raw cacao powder until it resembles ﬁne breadcrumbs. Add the dates or raisins and coconut oil and process until the mixture starts to bind together.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of an 8 inch spring form cake tin. Chill while you make the filling.
- In a blender whizz together the berries until smooth. Pour into a jug and set aside.
- In a blender, whizz all the remaining topping ingredients except the berries until smooth. Add half of the berries and process until smooth. Pour over the base. Swirl in the berry sauce. Pour a little of the berry sauce in small blobs on the surface and using a skewer swirl the sauce around the cheesecake. Chill in the fridge until firm.
Did you Know?
For a probiotic boost replace half of the cashew nuts with coconut yogurt
For the base
- 125g / 1 cup pecans
- 100g / scant 1 cup almonds
- 125g 1 cup raisins or dates chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2tbsp raw cacao powder
- 250g / 9oz cashew nuts
- 75g xylitol
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 75g coconut oil, melted
- 75g melted cacao butter
- 200g berries – can use a bag of frozen berries defrosted
- ¾ cup lemon juice and zest of lemons (around 3-4 lemons)
- 2tsp super berry powder, optional