This is fun pumpkin dessert which my children love. Layers of chocolate crumble and creamy mousse which are topped with a little coconut cream made into eyes make this a delicious and healthy treat. I used a can of pumpkin puree but you can steam pumpkin or squash and then blend it up to form a thick puree if wished. Watch our video of how to make this delicious dessert on our you tube channel.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation and 2 minutes cooking
Serves – 4
What’s good about it?
Pumpkin is a great source of vitamin C and carotenoids – important antioxidants for protecting the skin from free radical damage as well as helping production of collagen which helps keep the skin look plump and glowing.
- First make the coconut cream. Spoon the top thick cream from the can of coconut milk and place in a bowl. Beat in the sweet freedom or maple syrup until smooth. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag then place in the fridge until needed.
- Make the chocolate crumble. Place the pecans in a food processor and blitz to form fine crumbs. Add the raw cacao, dates and vanilla and process to form a crumble. Set aside
- Make the pumpkin mousse. Place the orange juice and gelatine in a small pan and heat gentle until the gelatine has dissolved. Place the juice and the remaining ingredients in a food processor or nutri bullet and process to form a thick puree.
- To assemble spoon a little of the chocolate crumble into the base of glasses. Top with a little pumpkin mousse and repeat with the layers finishing with the pumpkin mousse. Pipe two eyes with the coconut cream and a little melted chocolate for the eye balls.
- These will keep in the fridge for 2 days.
The coconut cream can also be used to ice cakes and muffins to replace traditional sugary buttercream. You can also flavour it with different extracts or add a little raw cacao powder for a chocolate icing.
1 x 400g can of full fat coconut milk
2tsp sweet freedom or maple syrup
30g dairy free chocolate, melted
120g pumpkin puree
Juice and zest of 1 orange
2tsp gelatine or agar agar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
30g soft dates or raisins
1tbsp vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
100ml coconut cream
30g raw cacao powder
100g soft dates or raisins
1tbsp vanilla extract