With the cooler weather upon us this is the perfect time to make more of the squash family – butternut squash, acorn squash, spaghetti squash and pumpkins are all now readily available in the supermarkets and farm shops. You can also buy canned pumpkin puree as well as bags of ready to cook chunks of butternut squash. They are so versatile and perfect in both sweet and savoury dishes. They are also packed with nutrients particularly immune supporting carotenoids and vitamin C. I love this moist bread – it is so easy to make and delicious warm from the oven spread with a little nut butter, apple butter or coconut oil.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation and 40 minutes cooking
Serves – Makes 1 x 2lb loaf
What’s good about it?
Pumpkin is packed with fibre, B vitamins and immune supporting vitamin C and carotenoids. They also provide plenty of minerals including potassium, manganese, copper and magnesium – many of these are important for energy production.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl or food processor and mix thoroughly
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl with the vanilla, kefir or coconut milk and pumpkin puree.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the bread is golden and cooked through.
- Leave the bread in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on to a rack. Slice and serve.
- This will keep well in the fridge wrapped for 3-4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Using pumpkin puree is a great way to add moisture to cakes and muffins. You could also use mashed and cooked sweet potato, yams or butternut squash instead. For a sweeter bread try using apple puree.
120g Ground almonds
30g Tapioca flour
15g Coconut flour
1tbsp raw cacao powder
30g xylitol or erythritol
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
220g pumpkin puree
75g kefir or coconut milk
1tsp vanilla extract