This is a delicious low carb bread / cake. Super easy to make as you throw everything together in a food processor then bake in a loaf tin. I use either xylitol or erythritol to keep the sugar content down. The combination of almond flour and coconut flour keeps the cake wonderfully moist.
Serve as a sweet treat or dessert with fruit and coconut yogurt.
Serves 10 / Makes 1 x 1lb loaf
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Using almond flour and coconut flour provides plenty of fibre and healthy fats while keeping this paleo and gluten free. If you don’t have protein powder just use additional almond flour in this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 1lb loaf tin.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a food processor and mix well.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the chocolate chips and blitz well. Let the mixture sit for a minute then mix again. The coconut flour tends to soak up moisture and thicken the mixture by allowing it to stand for a minute.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. After about 30 minutes cover the top with foil so that it does not brown too much.
- Remove from the oven and let the cake sit in the tin for 15 minutes. Turn out and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Did You Know?
You could use very finely processed ground almonds instead of the almond flour if needed. Instead of chocolate chips you could use raisins.
150g almond flour
30g vanilla protein powder (or use extra almond flour)
50g coconut flour
60g xylitol or erythritol
1tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 large courgette, finely grated
50g coconut oil or dairy free spread
60g coconut milk or cream
100g chocolate chips