This is a beautiful light, moist loaf cake. The combination of oil and yogurt avoids the need for eggs making this a perfect vegan option. For a more intense orange flavour use a few drops of orange oil in the mixture too. Wrap and store in the fridge. This will also freeze well.
Makes 1 loaf cake / about 10 slices
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Using a light olive oil in this cake provides plenty of monounsaturated fats known for their anti-inflammatory, heart healthy benefits.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a food processor or large glass bowl and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients and blend well.
- Spoon the batter into the loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until golden brown and when you insert a skewer into the centre it comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- If wished drizzle with a little icing (mix together the fine erythritol and orange juice) and top with orange rind.
Did You Know?
Using the powdered erythritol for the icing is a great option for a low sugar, low calorie icing. You could just heat up a little orange juice instead and pour over the cake.
250g gluten free self raising flour
50g gluten free oats
75g xylitol or erythritol
125ml light olive oil
100g coconut yogurt or soy yogurt
125ml orange juice
zest of 1 orange
1-2 drops of orange oil (optional)
1-2tbsp orange juice