A simple one pot pasta dish with a gorgeous vegan creamy sauce. Not only is this wonderfully simple to prepare but packed with flavour. I have added spinach at the end of cooking but you could bulk it up further with frozen peas, sweetcorn or other veggies in the fridge. If you prefer you can cook the pasta separately and then toss into the sauce at the end. You can also create this sauce in advanced and keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days. The sauce will also freeze well.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Adding butternut squash to make the sauce is a great way to provide plenty of antioxidants particularly carotenoids known to support immune health. By blending in the beans at the end you increase protein and fibre content of this dish.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and saute the onion for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash chunks together with the spices and saute for 5 minutes
- Add the coconut milk and beans and simmer for 10 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Blend everything with a hand held blender until creamy and smooth.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer then toss in the pasta. Stir well then leave it to cook until al dente.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the baby spinach leaves. Allow them to wilt in the sauce.
- Season with plenty of black pepper and spoon into bowls to serve. If wished top with a little grated vegan cheese.
CE Magimix Instructions
- Place the oil in the metal bowl with the onion and butternut squash chunks. Select EXPERT 5 minutes / 1A / 100C
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients Select EXPERT 10 minutes / 1A / 100C
- Select EXPERT 1 minute / 18 / no temperature – make sure the cap is on and process to form a creamy smooth sauce.
- Stir in the gluten free pasta well – this will stop it from sticking when it cooks. Select EXPERT 10 minutes / 0 / 110C – check the pasta is cooked as different brands will need different cooking times. If concerned about it all sticking stop the cooking half way through and give it a good stir.
- Stir in the baby spinach leaves and allow them to wilt in the sauce. Season with black pepper and spoon into bowls to serve. Top with a little grated vegan cheese if wished.
Did You Know?
I find a chunky shape pasta works better as they hold their shape better. You can use spaghetti but cook this separately rather than in the same pot.
1tbsp olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 bag of frozen butternut squash chunks (500g)
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic salt
3tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
1tsp white miso paste
1 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained
1 x 400ml light coconut milk
200-250g Gluten free conchiglie pasta (shell pasta) – amount will depend on appetite!
250g baby spinach leaves
Black pepper to taste
Grated vegan cheese to top – optional