I love one pot meals and this one can be cooked either on the stove or in the oven for a fuss free meal. One pots are also a great way to cram in a wealth of vegetables and as they are gently simmered it really enriches the flavour. You could use Cannellini beans to replace the butter beans in this dish if wished but they are not quite as robust and may break up a little.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30-50 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Adding kale to this dish is an easy way to increase your intake of cruciferous vegetables. Kale is loaded with anti-inflammatory antioxidants like quercetin and vitamin C. It also a range of minerals including calcium, potassium and magnesium. You could replace the kale for spinach if wished.
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish. Add the onion, smoked paprika, garlic, celery and carrots and saute for 5 minutes to soften.
- Stir in the new potatoes, lemon juice and zest and toss in the oil.
- Pour over the passata, vegetable stock , butterbeans and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil then cover the pan and either cook on the hob for 30 minutes (until the potatoes are cooked) or place in to a preheat oven at 180C, gas mark 4 and cook for 50 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and cook for 1-2 minutes to wilt the kale.
- Top with lots of chopped parsley and spring onions.
Nutrition per serving: 229kcal, Fat 4.1g, Carbohydrates 30.8g, Protein 10.5g
Did You Know?
For a Mediterranean twist stir in pitted black olives and a little chopped preserved lemon
1tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, diced
1tsp smoked paprika
4 garlic cloves, chopped
6 new potatoes, halved or quartered if large
zest of 1 lemon
1tbsp lemon juice
2 x cans butter beans, drained
200ml vegetable stock
sea salt and black pepper to taste
150g chopped kale leaves
2tbsp chopped parsley
2 spring onions chopped