I love these gorgeous sweet bars. Using dried mango to naturally sweeten the oat layer they are perfect for a pre or post workout snack. Rich in healthy fats and protein with the addition of nut butter in the filling combined with dairy free chocolate these make a wonderful treat for the children too. I often add protein powder to the oat mixture for an additional protein boost which also helps stabilise blood sugar and really keeps you feeling satisfied for longer. These would make an ideal weekend breakfast treat for lazy days.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation, plus chilling time
Serves – 16
What’s good about it?
Mangos are rich in vitamin A, C, iron and calcium. They also contain flavonoids like betacarotene, alphacarotene, and beta-cryptoxanthin, which help vitamin A to impart antioxidant strength and vision-protecting properties, maintaining healthy mucous membranes and skin.
- Grease and line a 20cm square baking tin with parchment paper
- Pour boiling water over the dried mango and leave to soak for 10 minutes to soften. Drain but reserve the soaking liquid.
- Place the dried mango in a blender with the mango powder, 200ml of the soaking liquid and olive oil and blend to form a smooth paste – it should be a thick paste
- Place the oats and chia seeds in a bowl. Add the mango puree and mix thoroughly.
- Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the tin and press down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Put the chocolate and nut butter in a small pan and melt over a low heat stirring constantly. Pour the mixture over the oat base. Scatter the remaining oat mixture over the top of the chocolate layer and press down lightly.
- Place the tin in the freezer to firm up for 30 minutes then cut into slices. These will keep well in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Sweet mango powder is slow dried to maintain its antioxidant benefits. A great addition to smoothies, puddings, cakes, pickles and chutneys it is an easy way to sweeten a dish and provide plenty of nutrients.
220g gluten free oats
30g vanilla protein powder, optional
100g dried mango pieces (unsweetened)
1tbsp sweet mango powder
2 tbsp olive oil
1tbsp chia seeds
150g dairy free chocolate chips
100g Nut Butter (almond, peanut, cashew nut)