This is Nathan’s favourite chocolate cake recipe. Rich and dark this is very indulgent but ideal for birthdays. I use the top thick layer from cans of full fat coconut milk to make the mixture creamy. You can chill the cans in the fridge before opening which enables you to more easily scoop out the creamy part. Instead of the chocolate filling you could spread the cake with a pure fruit strawberry jam. The chocolate ganache is really easy to make – but only use the top thick layer of cream from the can of coconut milk as you want it nice and creamy. If you want to drizzle over a little white chocolate then you can make this by simply melting raw cacao butter with a spoonful of honey and a little coconut oil.
Difficulty – Moderate
Time – 30 mins cooking time
Serves – 10-12
What’s good about it?
Yacon syrup is a low glycemic sweetener made from a tuber. It is rich in prebiotics which feed the friendly bacteria in your gut.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4
- To make the cake melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a pan over a gentle heat. Place in a food processor with the coconut cream, honey and sweet freedom or yacon and eggs and beat well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process to form a thick batter.
- Pour into two greased and lined 7 or 8inch cake tins. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked.
- Cool in the tin then turn out on to a rack and leave until completely cold
- To make the filling simply add all the ingredients to a food processor and process. Spread on one of the cakes and place the second cake on top.
- To make the ganache place the coconut cream in a pan and heat. Once hot add the chocolate and beat vigorously to combine. As it cools it will thicken. Pour over the top of the cake.
Did you Know?
To increase the protein you can use chocolate protein powder to make the filling for the cake. Raw cacao powder and cocoa powder is a great source or magnesium, an important mineral that helps relax the muscles and nervous system.
150g dairy free chocolate chips
2tbsp coconut oil
The top creamy coconut layer from 2 cans of full fat coconut milk (about 400g)
80g or 1/4 cup yacon syrup, Choc Shot or Sweet freedom
115g coconut flour
1tbsp vanilla extract
60g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Ganache for top of the cake
220g dairy free chocolate chips
250ml coconut cream
Filling for Cake
200g coconut oil, (not melted)
150g honey, yacon syrup or coconut syrup
60g cocoa powder
a little coconut milk if needed