I love these crackers – protein packed and a great source of healthy fats. You can vary the seeds according to taste but I love including a selection for texture and taste. The addition of nori provides essential minerals including iodine. These will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week. If you have a dehydrator you can dehydrate the crackers over night instead of baking in the oven.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 mins preparation plus dehydrating time
Makes about 24 crackers
What’s good about it?
These delicious gluten free crackers are packed with protein and healthy fats thanks to the addition of flaxseed and the other seeds. Flaxseed are also a good source of soluble fibre making them useful for easing constipation – but always make sure you drink plenty of water alongside.
- Preheat the oven to 150C, gas mark
- Place the pepper, sunflower seeds and flaxseed in a food processor and process to break up. Add the remaining ingredients and process again to combine.
- Spread the mixture on to a teflex sheet or non-stick baking parchment on a baking tray. Shape into a rectangle and mark into 16 squares. Bake for 30-45 minutes until golden and crisp. Alternatively dehydrate overnight – flip over and dehydrate for another 8 hours until crisp
Did you Know?
You can vary the ingredients in these crackers – try using more chia seeds rather than flaxseed and increase shelled hemp seeds for a nutty taste.
Makes 16 crackers
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 75g / 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 150g / 1 cup flaxseed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 60g /2 oz / ½ cup sundried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 nori sheet crumbled
- 1tsp sea salt
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- Juice of ½ lemon