This recipe incorporates all the flavours of Christmas, lightly spiced, rich and creamy – yet completely dairy free. It uses a combination of dried fruit and fresh apple to create a soft textured vegan ice cream. Perfect as an alternative to Christmas pudding. To save time you could replace the mincemeat ingredients with shop bought mincemeat.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 mins preparation plus freezing time
Serves – 8
What’s good about it?
Goji berries are a great immune boosting fruit. Packed with vitamin C, vitamin A and antioxidants plus zinc which are all important for supporting immune health. Great as a snack or added to desserts and raw cookies.
- To make the mincemeat mixture place all the ingredients in a large bowl and stir well.
- Place the cashew nuts, xylitol, vanilla, coconut milk, coconut oil in a high speed blender and blender until smooth and creamy.
- Add the mincemeat and pulse briefly to break the mixture up slightly. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the machine instructions.
- Alternatively pour the mixture into a freezer proof shallow proof container and freeze for 1-2 hours. Break it up to remove any ice crystals then return to the freezer
- Remove from the freezer 15-20 minutes before serving to soften slightly.
Did you Know?
You could use coconut kefir to replace the coconut milk for a dose of beneficial bacteria. Adding the coconut oil keeps the texture wonderfully smooth when it freezes.
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 finely chopped apple
- 125g mixed dried fruit
- 75g goji berries
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2tbsp coconut syrup
Ice Cream base
- 180g cashew nuts
- 60g xylitol
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 700ml full fat canned coconut milk
- 30g coconut oil, melted