If you’re looking for an alternative to mince pies then try these cake bars. Fabulously moist and sweet they are ideal for packed lunches and on the go snacks. I often make up a batch and freeze them. Ideally use your own mincemeat but if you are buying mincemeat from the shop check ingredients carefully as some may contain gluten
Difficulty – Easy
Time – Preparation time 15 minutes, Cooking time 25-30 minutes
Makes 16 bars
What’s good about it?
Using xylitol is a great way to keep the sugar content lower in this recipe. Watch out for shop bought mincemeat as many contain fructose syrups – ideally make up your own batch with a mixture of chopped apples and dried fruit soaked in a little orange juice or brandy.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4
- Grease and line a traybake tin.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a large bowl and stir in the mincemeat.
- Beat the eggs with the xylitol and stir into the mixture.
- Combine well then spoon into a lined rectangular tray bake tin.
- Bake in an oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin then cut into bars
- These will freeze for up to 3 months.
Did you Know?
450g fruity mincemeat ideally homemade
250g gluten free plain flour (e.g Doves farm)
2tsp baking powder
2tbsp coconut sugar or xylitol