Sometimes you just fancy a slice of bread without having to make a large loaf! This mug bread recipe is perfect for one and so speedy and simple to make. If you don’t have a microwave you can still use this recipe – just bake in the oven but make sure your mug is ovenproof! I often switch half the almond flour for chocolate or vanilla protein powder to increase the protein levels.
You can make this vegan by swapping the egg for 1 heaped tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed into 2tbsp water and allow it to soak for 5 minutes before using. Watch our video of how to make it here
Difficulty – Easy
What’s good about it?
Almond Flour is a wonderful protein rich, low glycemic flour. Rich in heart healthy monounsaturated fats and vitamin E. It is perfect for stabilising blood sugar levels and energising the body – filling and really satisfying.
- Spoon the almond flour in a microwave or oven proof mug. Add the baking powder, egg and pear or apple puree. Flavour with a little cinnamon powder, salt and vanilla extract.
- Beat the mixture together with a fork to form a thick batter
- Place the mug in the microwave and cook on full powder for around 90 seconds until the bread is firm and just cooked through. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes then turn out and slice in half to serve
- Delicious spread with butter, coconut oil or nut butter.
- To cook in the oven, preheat the oven to 180C and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Vary the flavourings in this recipe -instead of apple puree you could use some mashed banana or for a less sweet option mashed sweet potato or butternut squash. Take out the vanilla and cinnamon and flavour with garlic salt or a dash of paprika for a savoury version.
2tbsp almond flour
1/2 -1 tsp baking powder
2tbsp pear or apple puree (or use coconut yogurt)
Pinch of cinnamon
1tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt