I love stuffed peppers, they are super easy to make and the variations are endless. Using a packet of precooked rice and quinoa saves you time meaning you can create this dish within 25 minutes. I added in vegan ‘Greek’ style cheese for additional flavour but you could leave this out or use nutritional yeast flakes instead. Prepare this dish ahead of time and reheat when needed. It is equally delicious served cold with salad.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
What’s Good About It?
The combination of rice, beans and quinoa provides plenty of fibre and protein to help stabilise blood sugar levels and keep you feeling fuller for longer.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas mark 5.
- Cut the peppers in halve and remove the seeds and core.
- Place cut side up on a baking tray and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except the cheese and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes to thicken the sauce. Stir in the cheese or nutritional yeast flakes if using.
- Remove the peppers from the oven. Spoon the filling into the peppers and serve immediately.
- Alternatively spoon the filling into the peppers and allow to cool. Reheat in the oven for 15 minutes to serve.
Nutrition per serving 260kcal, Fat 8.9g, Carbohydrates 34g, Protein 7g
Did You Know?
Try using grated vegan cheddar style cheese instead of the Greek style cheese. Spoon the filling into the peppers top with the cheese and place under the grill to melt.
4 red or orange peppers
1tbsp olive oil
1 packet 250g Merchant gourmet spicy Mexican style grains and pulses or similar mix (check gluten free)
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
1/2 can kidney beans, drained
100g baby spinach leaves
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
60g Vegan ‘Greek’ cheese cut into little dice or 1-2tbsp nutritional yeast flakes