A delicious prepare ahead meal. You can serve this with tacos or rice for a wonderful comforting family meal. Make up a batch of this dish and use it for easy afterwork meals or lunches.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
What’s Good About It?
The combination of beans and tofu in this dish increases the overall protein substantially. It can be tricky sometimes to get sufficient protein in vegan dishes – this combination together with the rice or tacos ensure sufficient spectrum of essential amino acids to fuel your body.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and pan fry the tofu until golden. Remove from the pan
- Add the onion, garlic, spices and jalapenos to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, beans and tomatoes and simmer for 5-10 minutes to thicken the sauce
- Add the tofu and warm through.
- Serve with salad, steamed vegetables and cooked rice or spoon into corn tacos
- If you are making this in advance divide the mixture between four containers and chill in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition per serving with 125g cooked rice 398kcal, Fat 9.1g, Carbs 56g, Protein 18.7g
Did You Know?
If you are gluten free check labels carefully if using tacos or tortillas as some do contain wheat flour as well as corn.
1tbsp olive oil
1 block tofu (350-400g)
1 onion, chopped
1tsp garlic chopped
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
2tbsp jalapenos (from a jar, drained and chopped)
1 red pepper, diced
1 courgette (grated) or 100g sweetcorn
1 can (400g) black beans, drained and rinsed
Steamed vegetables and salad
Cooked rice (allow 125g per serving) or corn tacos