This is a wonderful sweet chocolate treat – ideal as a snack or breakfast option served with some fruit and coconut yogurt. Some recipes for chocolate buckwheaties are ladened with sugar or use loads of dates making it not really much better for you than a bowl of coco pops. So I have made it healthier with a little xylitol and lucuma to sweeten instead. Using chocolate protein powder is also a great way to boost the protein content. Ideally soak your buckwheat overnight then drain thoroughly before using.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 10 minutes, 30-40 minutes cooking
Serves – 6
What’s good about it?
These protein packed chocolate bites are great as a healthy snack or topping for yogurt. Buckwheat is high in fibre and protein and a great source of manganese and magnesium making it a great energising food. High in fibre it has been shown to help heart health and control blood sugar levels.
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan assisted, 190C , gas mark 5
- Place the drained buckwheat in a bowl.
- Place the oil and tahini in a pan and melt. Stir in the remaining ingredients including the buckwheat.
- Spread the mixture onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes stirring occasionally until the buckwheat is crunchy. Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
Nutrition per 30g 2tbsp
Calories 129kcal, Protein 4.3g, Carbohydrates 17.8g, sugars 0.9g Fat 5.2g saturates 3.4g
Did you Know?
While many people think that buckwheat is a cereal grain, it is actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb plant. Naturally nutritious and gluten free it is excellent used in sweet and savoury dishes
160g / 1cup buckwheat, soaked overnight then drained
30g desiccated coconut
1tbsp cocoa powder
2tbsp coconut oil
1tbsp lucuma powder, optional
30g Sunwarrier chocolate vegan protein powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon