Buckwheat makes a delicious granola style cereal. This chocolate version is ideal as a snack or breakfast option served with some fruit and coconut yogurt. Keep the sugar low by using a little xylitol and lucuma powder rather than syrups or honey. Using chocolate protein powder is also a great way to boost the protein content. Remember to soak your buckwheat overnight then drain thoroughly before using.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 10 minutes, 30-40 minutes cooking
Serves – 6
What’s good about it?
These protein packed chocolate bites are great as a healthy snack or topping for yogurt. Buckwheat is high in fibre and protein and a great source of manganese and magnesium making it a great energising food. High in fibre it has been shown to help heart health and control blood sugar levels.
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan assisted, 190C , gas mark 5
- Place the drained buckwheat in a bowl.
- Place the oil and tahini in a pan and melt. Stir in the remaining ingredients including the buckwheat.
- Spread the mixture onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes stirring occasionally until the buckwheat is crunchy. Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
Did you Know?
While many people think that buckwheat is a cereal grain, it is actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb plant. Naturally nutritious and gluten free it is excellent used in sweet and savoury dishes
160g / 1 cup buckwheat, soaked overnight then drained
30g desiccated coconut
1tbsp cocoa powder
2tbsp coconut oil
1tbsp lucuma powder, optional
30g chocolate protein powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon