This gorgeous looking shepherd’s pie is the perfect vegan weekday meal. Leftovers can be frozen or kept in the fridge for 2-3 days making it an ideal dish for preparing in bulk. It can also be frozen too. Packed with flavour and with a lighter topping thanks to the addition of cauliflower.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
What’s Good About It?
A one pan meal high in protein and fibre thanks to the addition of cooked canned lentils. By adding a little cauliflower to the mashed potato you can lighten the texture and sneak in extra veggies too.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the onions and fry over a gentle heat for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic, carrots and mushrooms and stir for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the lentil base and simmer gently for 10 minutes – you should have a lovely thick tomato sauce. If it looks a little dry add a little more vegetable stock or water.
- Place the lentil filling in a large rectangular baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas mark 5.
- To make the topping boil the potatoes for 10 minutes then add the cauliflower and cook until soft. Drain well. Place back into the pan and add the remaining ingredients. Mash until smooth. Spoon or pipe the mashed potato mixture on the top of the lentil filling.
- Sprinkle over a little black pepper and smoked paprika.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until the topping is golden and the mixture is bubbling.
Did You Know?
You can portion this shepherds pie and freeze for up to 3 months. Simply reheat in the oven at 180C, gas mark 4 until piping hot.
1tbsp olive oil
3 onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
4 mushrooms, finely chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 x cans cooked lentils, drained
1 x can 142g tomato puree
2tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
200ml vegetable stock
2tsp tahini paste
1tbsp tamari soy sauce
1tbsp apple cider vinegar
700g potatoes, peeled and chopped
200g cauliflower cut into florets
2tbsp dairy free spread
1tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
salt and pepper
3tbsp coconut or soy milk