My children absolutely love pancake day. Mixing, flipping, spreading or drizzling with a little healthy sauce is their idea of heaven. So with Shrove Tuesday upon us I wanted to share a low carb pancake recipe suitable too if you are following a ketogenic diet. I find some clients do well on a ketogenic diet but it has to be followed correctly. These are delicious whether you follow a ketogenic diet or not. Serve with fruit if you do not need to worry about the carbs or drizzle with coconut cream or simply a little lemon juice and xylitol for a sweet option.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 10 minutes preparation, 12 minutes cooking
Serves – 4-6
What’s good about it?
Using protein powder is an easy way to boost protein further but check labels if you are ketogenic to make sure it does not contain additional sweeteners or sugar.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a food processor and mix to combine.
- Add the vanilla, eggs and sweetener and blend.
- Slowly add enough coconut cream to form a thick batter
- Heat a little coconut oil in a frying pan. Pour a little into the pan to form a pancake.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the edges turn golden then flip and cook briefly on the other side. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with coconut cream, yogurt or a little lemon juice and xylitol
Did you Know?
If you use almond flour you may need more coconut cream as this absorbs more liquid than ground almonds.
Makes around 6 pancakes
40g ground flaxseed
60g almond flour or finely ground up almonds
30g chocolate protein powder
1tbsp raw cacao powder
1tsp baking powder
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp vanilla extract
3 organic / free range eggs
200-250g coconut cream
1tbsp xylitol or erythritol
Coconut oil for frying
To serve: coconut cream, CO YO yogurt, lemon juice and xylitol