Creamy and super easy to make this delicious vegan curry takes just 25 minutes to cook. Delicious served with just a salad or with brown basmati rice and steamed greens. This is sure to be a family favourite. You can prepare this ahead of time and reheat when needed – leftovers will keep for 1-2 days in the fridge too.
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Jackfruit is a great addition to vegan dishes. Rich in fibre and antioxidants it has been shown to help balance blood sugar.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish. Once hot add all the spices, garlic and ginger and stir well to coat in the oil.
- Tip in the onion and saute over a low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit, sweet potato and red pepper and stir. Cook over a low heat for 10 minutes
- Pour in the coconut milk and tomato puree and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to the boil then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes until the potato is tender.
- Scatter over coriander leaves to serve.
- Serve with cooked brown basmati rice if wished and steamed greens or salad
Nutrition per serving (curry only) 346kcal, Fat 11.2g, Carbohydrates 55.1g, Protein 3.6g
Did You Know?
You can increase the protein content in this dish by adding in a tin of chickpeas or cooked beans at the end of cooking.
1tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp fresh ginger grated or chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
1tsp ground turmeric
1tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1tsp ground coriander
2tsp garam masala
2-3 sweet potatoes peeled and diced (about 450g)
1 red pepper, diced
2 cans of jackfruit, drained, rinsed and broken up into pieces
1 can coconut milk, reduced fat
1tbsp tomato puree
sea salt and black pepper to taste
Chopped coriander leaves to serve
Serve with cooked basmati rice if wished and steamed greens